Expert carpet manufacturer Brintons will launch the new Craigend Collection designed by long-term collaborators Timorous Beasties at Clerkenwell Design Week 2018. Taking over St Johns Square the collection will be debuted in a pop-up installation designed by Studio Shaw Architects.
Famous for their outstanding diversity of pattern, Scottish design duo Timorous Beasties will present Craigend, their third collection with Brintons. Named after Craigend Place, home of the Glasgow based Timorous Beasties studio and birth place of the designs, the collection name is also inspired by the old Gaelic word ‘Creag’, which means rock.
This commercial collection is inspired by textures and surfaces found naturally underfoot, including sand dunes, stone moss and lichen, all reimagined in the Brintons’ signature 80/20 blend of 80% wool and 20% nylon. With Craigend, Timorous Beasties have called upon their fascination with the often- brutal beauty of the natural world, as well as taking aesthetic inspiration from different crafting materials including paint, ink and fabric.
The installation at Clerkenwell Design Week will showcase a unique selection of woven carpets taken from the new Craigend Collection. Visitors will be taken on a journey through the pop-up installation, where the full-scale patterns will transport the audience into a world inspired by the textures and sights of the natural world.
Founders of Timorous Beasties Alistair McAuley and Paul Simmons comment, ‘For our new Craigend collection, we took inspiration from what we see under our feet, taking cues from natural carpets such as sand dunes, moss, stone, and waves of water. We also thought about how carpet can be dramatic in transitional spaces such as lobbies, corridors, and grand dining rooms. We also considered how the functional aspects and minimal aesthetic can work in more personal spaces such as bedrooms, whilst still keeping the link between the dramatic and the serene. We first collaborated with Brintons a decade ago, and our love of pattern repeats from our wallpapers and fabrics, has been a very productive pairing, and adapts perfectly to carpet design.’
Emma Cassidy, Head of Creative Design EMEA at Brintons comments, ‘Brintons are delighted to launch the highly anticipated Craigend Collection, our latest collaboration with Timorous Beasties which celebrates our 10-year anniversary of collaborating together. The collection brings to life a diverse range of bold, colourful and dynamic designs that will inspire and surprise the design community; pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in carpet design, for commercial spaces.’
Alistair McAuley and Paul Simmons will be taking part in the Conversations at Clerkenwell talks programme and will be in conversation with Priya Khanchandani, deputy editor of ICON Magazine on Tuesday 22 May, 10.30am. Book your place here.
Editors Notes About Brintons
• Brintons is a world-leading supplier of premium quality custom-designed and stocked carpet to the residential and commercial sectors (hospitality, public spaces, marine, leisure and gaming).
• With over 230 years of heritage creating beautiful bespoke woven carpet for some of the world’s most prestigious buildings including royal palaces, historic houses and luxury hotels, Brintons is today the trusted partner of choice for designers looking for expert design input in addition to exceptional quality products.
• A global network of design studios and a unique pattern archive offer clients a powerful creative resource that inspires people to think differently about colour and pattern.
• Brintons’ team of leading designers works closely with client project teams to create designs that meet the needs of individual projects of every size, specification and level of design complexity – be they classic, traditional or contemporary in style.
• In addition to custom-designed carpet, Brintons offers stock collections of premium woven axminster and Wilton broadloom carpets, tiles and hand tufted rugs. A regularly updated portfolio of designs created specifically for the commercial market by inspirational, trend- leading expert designers, including Kelly Hoppen, Timorous Beasties and Stacey Garcia offers designers, specifiers and architects an unusually wide collection of contemporary patterns and palette.
• Brintons offers a total project management service to its commercial clients.
• Axminster and Wilton carpets manufactured by Brintons contain a unique blend of 80% wool / 20% nylon, an innovation developed by Brintons and now considered the global standard of the industry.
About Timorous Beasties
Founded in 1990 by Alistair McAuley and Paul Simmons, Timorous Beasties’ design and manufacturing embodies an outstanding diversity of pattern. Exuding craftsmanship, quality, and impeccable attention to detail, the designs take inspiration from the every day and particularly play on Timorous Beasties’ fascination with the often-brutal beauty of the natural world.
For over 25 years at Timorous Beasties, textiles history has taken twists and turns in pattern and repeat to the effect of transforming and redefining classic genres – the damask, Toile de Jouy, rococo, silhouette – to create what has been heralded as modern cult classics: London Toile, Thistle, Merian Palm, and the Hotch Blotch series to name a few.
Timorous Beasties' collections and bespoke designs adorn and furnish both residential and commercial spaces, from interiors to exteriors, using a universal range of techniques and materials: hand-printed and digital wallpapers and fabrics; vinyl, lighting, rugs, ceramics, concrete, stone and metal. Indeed, their work is not just prolific; it has defined an aesthetic era.