(Chicago, IL, June 2019) The 51st edition of NeoCon, June 10-12 at The Mart in Chicago, was a resounding success, further establishing itself as the premier, global platform for connecting, learning, and conducting business in the commercial interiors industry. This year’s event was marked by robust attendance and a palpable energy that coursed throughout the show, as the commercial A&D community immersed themselves in everything design.
The NeoCon Plaza, an experiential outdoor environment sponsored and outfitted by Haworth and Haworth Collection, as well as by Sunbrella Contract and Econyl by Aquafil, was a hit with attendees who used it to connect, collaborate, relax, recharge, unwind and enjoy the outdoors. A direct example of the movement of incorporating the outdoors into the workplace, the space—which was designed by Gensler Chicago in collaboration with Forward Fruit Branded Environments—was just one of many amenity-filled features show-goers enjoyed. A captivating educational program, headlined by keynote presenters Robin Standefer and Stephen Alesch, Ilse Crawford, and Liz Ogbu—in addition to new designer-led tours of notable Chicago spaces, dynamic installations, and can’t-miss industry gatherings rounded out the 51st edition.
Byron Morton, VP of Leasing, NeoCon, remarks, “The success of any given built project lies in how effective, useful, enjoyable and healthy it is for those who occupy the space. Applying that measure of success to NeoCon 2019, I think it’s fair to say it was a strong, vibrant edition. Whether it was connecting with colleagues outdoors in the NeoCon Plaza, taking in the powerful keynote presentations and seminar offerings, or exploring the many floors of showroom and exhibitor spaces, innovations and activations, the design world was treated to an inspirational and productive experience.”
A testament to the continued strength and enduring value of NeoCon, seven new permanent showrooms opened, and several tenants unveiled renovated new spaces designed by top firms, just in time for this year’s edition. New tenants include Hightower—which was honored with the IIDA/Contract Magazine Showroom and Booth Design Competition for Best in Competition overall, and for Best Small Showroom—as well as Kwalu, Beaufurn, Montisa, Cumberland Furniture, Emeco and HAT Contract. Eighty-five new to NeoCon brands joined the roster in the NeoCon Exhibit Hall on the 7th floor, which also featured many returning exhibitors who opted for larger spaces for the 2019 edition. Trends included ancillary spaces, phone booth-like structures, a focus on acoustics, amenity spaces, and outdoor-oriented solutions.
Showrooms and exhibitors shared some of their observations:
• “The organization and management of NeoCon was absolutely optimal. We were a first-time exhibitor this year and had both an installation on the First Floor, as well as a booth on the 7th Floor, which was designed by Milan architecture firm Calvi Brambilla. We were impressed by the level of both designers and dealers that attended the exhibition, which included leading A&D firms from the US, Canada and overseas. They enthusiastically welcomed our collections, showing great attention and interest in the products presented."- Giuseppe Pedrali, Chief Executive Officer, and Monica Pedrali, Chief Executive Officer, Sales and Marketing Director of Pedrail
• “Tarkett’s Neocon 2019 will be remembered by very robust traffic throughout the show’s three days. We met with numerous Workplace customers, as well as key end users from across all segments. Design firms were very well represented from a diverse geography, and our strategic channel partners came out in droves. We were thrilled with attendance and even more excited by the overwhelmingly positive response to our products from both existing customers and new relationships.”- Chris Stulpin, Chief Creative Officer for Tarkett North America
• “We had high expectations for NeoCon this year, as we significantly promoted our expanded presence at the show, along with all of the new product families we’d be previewing. So we were ready for heavy booth traffic, but the volume, consistency and quality of attendees truly exceeded our expectations. I would say this year’s show was outstanding for us on all levels. We knocked it out of the park!”- Kurt James, Marketing Director, Claridge Products.
• "We are extremely happy about the overall experience at NeoCon. Our stands captured a lot of attention and traffic and we had plenty of really good meetings and interactions throughout the fair. Our latest innovations were very well received, and people can't wait to get their hands on them in the fall. Naturally it's also always nice to be recognized with awards both for the booth and our innovations." - Samu Hällfors, CEO and founder, Framery
• "This year's show was historic—full of excitement, launches and conversations that showcase the huge potential of the commercial industry to continue breaking ground with innovative solutions. There was vibrancy around HMTX's presence and a feeling of power and promise around our Teknoflor brand." - Jeff Collum, President and CEO of Teknoflor
• "Our first NeoCon marked a significant milestone for Luxxbox as we continue to expand into the North American market, providing holistic acoustic solutions to designers around the world. NeoCon presented the opportunity to meet with existing and new clients, and launch new lines including our Waffle Discs and Leaves. We're thrilled with the recognition our products received in the various awards programs, including Best of NeoCon, The HiP Awards, and Product Innovations Awards for Blade and Linea acoustic lights, some of our most progressive solutions to date."- Jason Bird, the Founder and Creative Director at Luxxbox
• “We had a terrific Neocon 2019! We felt a strong increase in traffic compared to prior years, driven primarily by award winning product introductions like Kin, our new showroom in The Mart, and overall strong macroeconomic conditions. We found customers engaged, inspired, and actively seeking products with inspired design and immediate availability.” – David Crimmins, VP of Sales and Marketing, Allermuir | Senator
NeoCon 2020 will be held from June 8-10 at The Mart in Chicago.
NeoCon is the world’s leading platform and most important event for the commercial interiors industry, held each year at The Mart in Chicago. Since launching in 1969, NeoCon has served as the annual gathering place for the commercial design world’s manufacturers, dealers, architects, designers, end-users, design organizations and media. The three-day event showcases game-changing products and services from both leading companies and emerging talent—providing unparalleled access to the latest and most innovative solutions. A robust educational program of keynote presentations and CEU sessions offers world-class expertise and insight about today’s most relevant topics as well as the future of commercial design. NeoCon is open to trade, media, C-Suite executives and other industry-related professionals. www.neocon.com
NeoCon® is a registered trademark of theMART, a Vornado Property.
theMART (formerly The Merchandise Mart), located in the center of the sought-after River North submarket, is interwoven into the fabric of Chicago as an innovator in business, technology, culture, art, media and more. As the largest privately held commercial building in the United States, it is one of the world’s leading commercial buildings, wholesale design centers and the preeminent international business location in Chicago. Encompassing 4.2 million gross square feet, theMART spans two city blocks, rises 25 stories, and is visited by an average of 30,000 people each business day and nearly 10 million people annually. Offering continuous innovation and creativity from leading manufacturers and design forward showrooms, theMART serves as the home to Chicago's most creative and technologically innovative companies.